Winter is here and that means colder weather. Make sure your home is ready with these tips!
- Plumbing. If your pipes aren't properly winterized, they can freeze and break over the winter, causing flooding and extensive damage. Make sure to hire a licensed plumber to drain the water from all of the pipes and appliances in your home.
- Gutters. Clogged gutters can cause ice dams to form on the roof, which leads to structural and shingle damage. Clean your gutters of all obstructions so that water has a path off the roof and won't freeze there.
- Shutters. It's especially important in coastal areas like Rehoboth to install storm shutters on your windows to protect them in case of harsh winter weather.
- Vents. Make sure to seal off all vents so that birds and other critters can't build their nests there.
- Smoke alarms. Test all the smoke alarms and make sure they are connected to a fire alarm system so that the fire department will be notified in case of an emergency.
- Plants. Keep your landscaping safe from ice and snow by placing a reusable A-frame structure over each tree or bush. To keep small branches from breaking under the weight of snow and ice wrap the middle of tall, thin trees with twine. Also, trim any branches that hang over rooftops, power lines and driveways to avoid damaging anything beneath them if they break.